Thursday, December 3, 2009

You Better Watch Out!

OK, so yes, I am one of those apparently horrible parents that actually let their children believe in Santa. When my kids were real little, we would go through extremes to make Santa a "real" part of their Christmas.

Every Christmas Eve, my dad would get dressed up as Santa Claus, and come to our house. He would never come in, but we would see him outside walking by the living room window where he would "accidentally" drop a gift for the kids.

Well, needless to say, I guess I still go through extremes with it. Now some people may like to bash my parenting skills, and tell me I am a horrible person for lying to my kids, and how Jesus is the true meaning of Christmas (which they know), and that I am ruining their lives by letting them believe. Yadda-Yadda-Yadda. But I will still let them believe in Santa if they want to. ANYWAY, with that rant done, a funny thing happened to us in the grocery store today...

We were just checking out, and one of my kids decided to throw an attitude because I would not buy them a toy. YES my kids do that sometimes! Well, lo and behold, a sweet elegant elderly lady with gray hair and glasses came up to us. She was wearing dress pants and a pretty Christmas sweater. She asked me (which we still get all the time) if the girls were triplets. I said yes, and then she proceeded to talk to all 5 kids about how beautiful they are, and how well behaved. Then she asked if they were excited about Christmas and if they were being good. Well at that point, the proverbial light bulb went off in my head. Boy was I going to take this one and run with it.

After she left, I was walking to the car, and I said to the kids, "Do you realize who you just spoke to?" After they answered, "No", I went on to tell them how I think that may have been Mrs. Claus. Every once in awhile she will go out with the elves to check on whether the children were being good or not. Not every child gets to meet Mrs. Claus. We were one of the lucky ones. WELL, that did it from there. Ever since this morning, I have never seen such courteous and helpful little children in my life! I don't know who the nice lady was (maybe it REALLY was Mrs. C.), but if not I still want to thank her for making my kids' day!

3 comments:

Teri said...

That is awesome Jenn! heehee!!

So good to see you back in the blog world!

Jennu22 said...

:0) It's GREAT to be back!!

Colleen said...

Jenn, that gives me goosebumps because somewhere deep inside I still want to believe. I met Santa once in Michaels, at least I like to think so.