Friday, November 20, 2009

ADVENT



Wow TWO posts in one day!

I have been thinking about Advent lately, and really want to do it this year with my kids. This is another Tradition that my parents did with us kids, and I always loved how every Sunday night in December we would take the time to do this. So now...I need to get myself to the craft store so that I can make our Advent wreath. It starts November 29 this year, so I'd better get moving on this.

Our advent schedule this year looks like this:

First Sunday of advent : Hope
light one purple candle to symbolize Hope
Prayer
Read Isaiah 60:2-3
Extinguish the flame

Second Sunday : Peace
Light two purple candles - Hope and Peace
Prayer
Read Mark 1:4
Extinguish the flames


Third Sunday : Joy
Light two purple candles (Hope and Peace)
and one rose to symbolize Joy
Prayer
Read Isaiah 35:10
Extinguish the flames


Fourth Sunday: Love
light all four candles - Hope, Peace, Joy and Love
Prayer
Read Isaiah 9:6-7
Extinguish the flames

Christmas Eve
After Sunset...
Light all four candles and add the fifth white candle
(the light of Christ)
Prayer
Read Luke 1:68-79 and Luke 2:1-20
Keep the candles lit a bit longer, or safely
throughout the evening.

No comments: